Vienna Christmas Markets

Wednesday

Now that Autumn is officially here (and there are less than 100 days until the big C) there is only one thing on my mind... Christmas. I absolutely love the run-up to Christmas, everything is so festive and the smells that fill the air are to die for; food, candles, Gingerbread Lattes, the list goes on.

A few years ago, my cousin and I took a trip out to Vienna so we could wander around the Christmas Markets, and experience some of what Austria has to offer in the winter. If you have never been to a Christmas Market, then you are seriously missing out.







g
Vienna is home to five Christmas Markets, each one just as exciting the last. For me, the food was the highlight of each location; just smelling the baked goods and the simmering soups were enough to make my stomach rumble. Of course, aside from the food, there were little stalls selling cute little trinkets and great little gifts.

I bought an array of teas, candles, and this lovely cat painting.


g

I will admit that it was frigid cold, I relied on my woolly hat and gloves every time I went outside, but the experience was well worth it... especially when it snowed.

Standing in the evening glow of the candles and twinkle lights, sipping spiced apple cider whilst the snow fell was pure magic. Like Christmas at Hogwarts! Architecturally, the city has a very gothic vibe, and in the snow everything was magical. I felt as though I had been plonked right into the middle of a fantasy novel.







I was only there for three days, but that was plenty of time for us to explore all of the markets, visit the Catacombs, and climb the cathedral. The Metro system is terribly easy to use and offers great transport links from the airport to the city. My favourite parts of the trip were climbing the cathedral to watch the sunset, and walking around looking at the Christmas lights.


g
The Christmas Markets run from November all the way through to the beginning of January, with their busy period obviously being December.

We booked flights using my go-to flight finder website, Skyscanner, and, the hotel with Booking.com, both websites I would recommend to anyone travelling, no matter the occasion.

Where are your favourite Christmas Markets?

If you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing this post on your social media platforms, or buying me aKo-fi 

Buying me a Ko-fi not only shows your support but allows me to continue doing what I love on an almost regular basis. 



4 comments

  1. I'd love to go to the Christmas markets abroad, my dad went to one in Germany and he loved it!

    Love, Amie ❤
    The Curvaceous Vegan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such an amazing experience, I'd definitely recommend doing it at least once!

      Delete
  2. I've never been to a Christmas market but I'm really hoping that will change this year! Probably not abroad but I'm sure there's plenty of lovely ones in and around London. Looks like you had a lovely time!

    Jenny
    http://www.jennyinneverland.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh this has made me so excited for Christmas! I absolutely love visiting Christmas markets xx

    Tiffany x www.foodandotherloves.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here!