Adventures in upcycling

Monday

As some of you may know, I have been attempting to redecorate my office space for some time now. I started the process last summer when I began to throw out loads of junk I didn't need or want anymore, I then grabbed some old paint from the shed and revamped the walls. The walls were an awful bright yellow colour so the pastel green and purple are definitely a welcome change!

My office space is actually in my loft, and if anything, it is more of a junk room that I have claimed a corner of, however with all the old furniture that has been piled up there, I am sure I can convert it into the office of my dreams! 





g
I am pretty happy with how it has turned out so far, but there is still a long way to go. I am trying to do it for as cheap as possible, and I have discovered that upcycling is a brilliant way to achieve the desired look at a fraction of the price.

You can start simple by sanding down old wooden furniture and doors and giving them a new paint job; you can then take it a step further by buying new knobs and handles. I have been graciously gifted these Glass Cut Cupboard Knobs from Door Furniture Direct* to help me on my upcycling adventure.



g
I had been looking for a way to spruce up the cupboard doors without too much effort, and these knobs do the job perfectly. Taking a few moments to change the handles has made me feel a whole lot better about the state of my office. It has gone from a junk room with an office in the corner, to an office filled with junk, haha!

The door knobs were very easy to fit; they didn't come with any instructions, however, I found that it was pretty much self-explanatory. Unscrew old knobs, put new knobs on. Done! My only difficulty was getting the old knobs to come off - they have been there so long it took a good hard pull to get them undone.
g
With these new knobs, it is plain to see that the doors could now do with a new lick of paint!

Can we take a moment to appreciate how sparkly they are? They also feel really strong and sturdy, I wouldn't want to fall over and bash my head into one of them if you catch my drift.


g
The knobs retail at £6.78 a piece, which for me was really good value. Door Furniture Direct has a whole range of knobs and handles all perfect for upcycling. If you are anything like me, you will be head over heels for anything that is silver and shiny!

I also upcycled this shelving unit. It used to be a big rack which was used to store a bunch of rubbish, but after I had built my new bookshelves, I didn't really have enough room for it. So I chopped it in half, painted it white and hey presto! I gave the other half to my dad who promptly painted it green and put it in the garden.




g
I have definitely caught the upcycling bug and I can't wait to decide on my next project. Stay tuned for further updates on my office revamp!

Have you done any upcycling before?



*Products in this post were gifted in return of an honest no bias review


If you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing this post on your social media platforms, or buying me aKo-fi 

Buying me a Ko-fi not only shows your support but allows me to continue doing what I love on an almost regular basis. 



7 comments

  1. Upcycling is such a good thing to do, I've been doing that lot and it makes a wold of difference!

    Love, Amie ❤
    The Curvaceous Vegan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not done any upcycling before but I definitely want too. I have a few drawers and wardrobes I'd like to change up! Fab post, it's made me want to get re-decorating haha x

    Tiffany x www.foodandotherloves.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great Kirstie! I put new doorknobs on everything- there's so many beautiful alternatives and the basic ones are usually so boring! Good luck with your office project, I'd love to see more posts like this. :)
    Imogen’s Typewriter. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like pretty door / drawer knobs (HAHAHA) they can really turn around a piece of furniture. I’d absolutely love to have my own office space, you’re so lucky!

    Jenny
    http://www.jennyinneverland.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love upcycling! I don't do it very often, but I'm always so inspired by other people's projects! :)

    Theresa | https://thecalicobooks.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to get into upcycling! I'm so bad at crafty things but look how amazing those doors look with their new knobs! (I can't lie, I'm a child and laughed at the 'good hard pull' on the old knob hahah). It must feel so satisfying to know that you've given things a new lease of life too. You've done an amazing job!
    Beth x Adventure & Anxiety

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those doorknobs are SO pretty, I need some! It's a shame I rent :( I can't wait to see what your office looks like when you're all finished.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here!