TRAVEL || WICKED ON BROADWAY

Tuesday


Whilst I was in New York I got to see my favourite musical, Wicked, on Broadway, which was everything I could have hoped for and more.

The hotel where we were staying was only a block over from The Gershwin, so as a birthday treat for my mum, I bought us tickets to see the show. They were not as pricey as I thought they would be, especially in comparison to prices on the West End which can quite often be ridiculously expensive.  We booked our tickets in advance online, as we knew that we definitely wanted to see Wicked whilst we were there and paid $150.00 for circle tickets, which roughly worked out to be £109.00 at the time (£54.00 each for almost top band tickets – I was very impressed at that)



The seats were a few rows from the front  of the circle, which meant that we had an amazing view throughout the entire performance. The seats were also situated on a gradient, and were wider than what you would normally expect, so there weren’t any heads bobbing in the way, nor was my personal space invaded. (Always a win in my books.)

 I really liked the Wicked themed cocktails that were served during the intermission. I had the Flying Monkey Punch which was a blend of fruit punch, sprite and Malibu, and as with all their cocktails, it was served in a free souvenir cup.


The show itself was amazing – As I said before Wicked is one of my favourite musicals, so I obviously hold it to very high standards, and I honestly could not fault anything with the performance. The acting was brilliant, and so was the singing, the only thing I didn’t like was that the cast had a varying range of accents which threw me from time to time, but that was very easy to get over. 

Based on the 1995 novel by Gregory Maguire, and winner of over 70 awards, including three Tony Awards and a Grammy, Wicked follows the untold story of the witches from The Wizard of Oz before Dorothy Gail dropped in. I absolutely love Wicked and how throughout the show we learn about how Elphaba 'became wicked', how her story fits in with a little girl from Kansas, and why she cares so much about those infamous ruby slippers.



 If you know that you are definitely going to see a specific show when you are in New York then I would advise booking the tickets online in advance to avoid disappointment. If you aren’t too fussed about what you see, then hang around  Times Square on the day that you want to go, and look out for an authorised ticket seller, or visit the ticket shop right under the glowing steps – also in Times Square.


If you ever get the chance to see Wicked, then you should jump at opportunity as it is one of the greatest musicals to hit the stage in the past two decades! 


Kirstie xoxo 


† This post is part of a series. All views are my own and based on my own experiences formed during my trip to NYC February 10th-15th 2016. Click HERE to view other posts in the series.

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment here!