TRAVEL || NEW YORK: CENTRAL PARK

Monday



I wish we could have spent a lot longer in Central Park than what we had time for, as it is so pretty and there is so much to see, but considering the weather was ridiculously below freezing we decided to venture for warmer pastures and save what we missed for another trip (at a warmer time of year).

The little time we spent there was not nearly enough time to get around the entire park, but we did manage to visit Strawberry Fields, The Zoo, and climb the rocks that are used in ninety percent of movies that are shot in Central Park, as well as well as do some general wandering.






Surprisingly, there weren't many people at Strawberry Fields, so we got to sit down, relax, and take in the atmosphere. If you don't know, Strawberry Fields is the memorial to John Lennon built in 1985 and fans travel from all over the world to pay their respect and lay flowers here; usually, when the weather is warmer you will also be able to find groups of people crowded around someone with a guitar. It took us a while to find, as it is a separate garden within the park, but it was well worth the walk.



I wasn't particularly impressed at the zoo, I thought it would be a lot bigger and have a lot more animals, (maybe Madagascar is based on true events, eh? lol). I spent a lot of time inside the bird house, as it was climate controlled to feel like a rain forest, a much-welcomed experience compared to the near-arctic weather outside! 

They also had Penguins, Sea Lions, Bears, Snow Leopards, Monkeys, and a selection of reptiles. As we exited the zoo through a cafe we decided to stop and refuel; the coffee was no Dunkin' Donuts, but the fries were amazing - I would go back again just for the fries.

Unfortunately, I didn't get many photos of the zoo as my camera decided that it was too cold to work properly, but I did manage to snap a few shots before it completely conked out. 





I thoroughly enjoyed the time I spent in Central Park, marvelling at the surrounding buildings from behind the trees, watching people jog in the warm sunlights, and trying to spot places I had seen on Law & Order: SVU.

In my opinion, you can't go to New York without visiting Central Park. It is a great place to escape the hustle of the city and just relax. If it was warmer I definitely would have found a nice spot on the grass and whipped my book out.

How would you spend an afternoon in Central Park?

Kirstie xoxo 

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment here!