Simple Pumpkin Pie Recipe

Wednesday

If you're anything like me and can't resist a good bargain, then you too will probably have been tempted by the post-Halloween reduced pumpkins. Now I am not the best cook in the world, but I will have a good go at baking most things so when I saw this giant pumpkin for 10p in Lidl I figured that now would be the perfect opportunity to try my hand at baking a Pumpkin Pie.

If you have never had Pumpkin Pie then you are seriously missing out. It isn't really a traditional thing to bake in the U.K; in fact, the only time I have ever had it is when I went to a Thanksgiving celebration at my universities International Society and have loved it ever since.

One thing that has put me off of making Pumpkin Pie in the past is the fact that I thought it would be too time-consuming, but it was actually really simple once I got into a bit of a rhythm, and I think I am going to make it a yearly tradition.

If you fancy having a go at making a Pumpkin Pie, you can find my recipe and method below.




WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
  • 750 grams of Chopped and skinned pumpkin (I found that one medium pumpkin just about covered the amount I needed)
  • 350 grams of Shortcrust pastry (I used Just Roll)
  • 140 grams of Caster Sugar
  • 25 grams of Butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon of Salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon of Cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon of Nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon of Ginger
  • 2 Eggs 
  • 175 ml of Milk

YOU WILL ALSO NEED: 
  • Loose bottomed tin
  • Fine sieve 
  • Bling Baking beans
  • Rolling Pin


METHOD:

If you haven't done so already, peel and chop the pumpkin. Alternatively, you can use canned pumpkin, but I have found that it doesn't taste as nice. 

Place the pumpkin in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to boil and then cover with lid. Let simmer for 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to Gas Mark 4 and roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface. Do not roll the pastry too thin or too thick, no thinner or thicker than a 50p. 

Use the pastry to line the loose bottomed tin, do not remove the access pastry just yet, this will be done later. Use your fingers to lightly push the pastry into the tins shape, and then place into the fridge to chill for fifteen minutes.

Once chilled, remove the excess pastry and then line the pastry with baking paper, fill with blind baking beans and then put in the centre of the oven for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes remove the baking beans and bake for another 7 minutes until the base is pale and biscuity.


Remove from oven and let cool slightly. 

Increase oven temperature to gas mark 7.

Drain the pumpkin from the saucepan, shake well to make sure the pumpkin is free of excess water. Slightly mash the pumpkin, as you would with mashed potatoes, and then gradually push the pumpkin through a sieve. Do not skip this step as it is crucial to the overall outcome.  

In a separate bowl combine sugar, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger. Beat eggs and mix into the mixture, then add melted butter and milk. Finally, add in the pumpkin and stir to combine. If you have any to hand, add a drop or two of lemon to taste.

Pour the mixture into the pastry shell and cook for 10 minutes. Reduce the temperature back to gas mark 4 and cook for another 35-45 minutes, until the filling is 'just' set. 

Leave to cool and then remove from tin. Serve pie chilled. 


Do you have any favourite autumn/winter bakes? Let me know how your pies turn out in the comments below.




Post a Comment

Please leave a comment here!